Court order NLC and TUC not to embark on a nationwide strike. The National Industrial Court of Nigeria (NICN) issued an interim injunction on Friday, preventing members of organized labour, including the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), the Trade Union Congress (TUC), and their affiliates, from participating in the November 14 nationwide strike.
Plateau News reports that the president of the court, Justice Benedict Kanyip, issued the order on Friday while ruling on an ex-parte application.
The motion was presented before the court on behalf of the Federal Government by the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and argued by Tijani Gazali (SAN), Acting Director (Civil Appeals), Federal Ministry of Justice.
Justice Kanyip said the order shall subsist until the determination of a motion on notice for interlocutory injunctions equally filed by the AGF.
The judge stated that under Sections 7(1) and 19(a) of the NICN Establishment Act, the court is entitled to consider such ex-parte application and give such ex-parte order where a strike is threatened but has not yet begun, as in this case.
Recall that the NLC and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) leadership had declared a total nationwide strike after an extraordinary National Executive Council meeting on Tuesday in Abuja.
The organized labour unions, following the announcement, have commenced mobilisation of members and allies across the country.
The decision was reached by NLC and TUC after the brutalisation of NLC National President, Joe Ajaero, last week in Imo State.
There had been widespread outrage by the Organised Labour accusing the former Commissioner of Police in Imo State, Mohammed Barde, of complicity in the recent attack on Ajaero, in Owerri, the Imo State capital.
The Organised Labour last Friday handed the Federal Government a five-day ultimatum to replace Barde while also blaming the Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodimma, for the attack on Ajaero.
The governor, however, had since said he had no hand in the attack on the labour leader.
The organised labour also sought the arrest and prosecution of some of the governor’s advisers, threatening a statewide strike if their demands were not met.